Saturday, February 19, 2011

Reading Rambling: Experiencing A Grief Observed

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. THe same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing. At other times it feels like being mildly drunk, or concussed. There is a sort of invisible blanket between the world and me. I find it hard to take in what anyone says. Or perhaps, hard to want to take it in. It is so uninteresting. Yet I want others to be about me. I dread the moments when the house is empty. If only they would talk to one another and not to me."

These words were penned by the great Christian thinker C.S. Lewis shortly after his wife died. I have read them before but never have they meant so much to me as they do now. Its kind of funny how your life experiences determine your perspective on everything. A week ago I could have read these words and not think a thing about them. I mean sure, theyre compelling enough but everything Lewis writes is compelling. But now as I read these words with eyes freshly baptized in the waters of unspeakable sorrow that awkward, inconvenient lump forms in my throat and the tears wash over my eyes anew.

It amazes me how well Lewis describes grief; even as my eyes glance over the words my self (I almost said body but much more than the physical is involved) is experiencing exactly what he is describing; feelings and sensations that my limited vocabulary and lack of artistic ability would never allow me to put into words. I'm not sure why but I find some sort of comfort knowing that decades ago one of my literary heroes went through the exact same pain that I am going through.

Before I sign off I want to pose a challenge to you right now; something I wish I had been doing for years. Think of someone has been around for so long now you just never expect him to leave. That person that sure you enjoy being around but just not all the time. That person that even though you could talk to him anytime you wanted you know you dont talk to him nearly as often as you should. Now imagine that all of the sudden that person is gone. Not gone as in will be back in an hour or two or even a week or two but gone as in you will never see them on this earth again. You cant call him up, you cant send him a text or catch him online, you cant even send him a letter; he's gone.

There, do you feel that? That feeling that makes you want to rip your heart out? That makes you want to punch something as hard as you can or bury yourself in a pillow and cry untill your eyes are raw? You know what that means? It means that you love that person more than you could ever imagine. It means that you cannot even fathom the pain you would feel if you were to ever wake up to hear that he is no longer living. And it means you should tell him as soon and as often as possible because you could very well wake up tomorrow morning and that person be gone.

I love you Adam and I miss you more than any human words could ever describe. I cant wait to see you again.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Stephen.I know that pit feeling of loosing someone you love so much, and especially someone so integral to your life.I wish I had the right words to say, God knows at this point I've heard it all myself.
    My heart breaks for you and your family, but also rejoices in ways unknown as we can grieve for our loses not as those who have no hope, but those who do.
    And what a great hope we have?
    Although things may seem out of control now and completely life devastating, be encouraged that God is Sovereign, even in this.
    Although ya'll were caught off guard in this tragedy, He was not.
    They say time heals all wounds, but I don't think that that is true. I don't believe it's the time itself that heals, it's the fact that each day brings us closer to eternity.
    One day, this whole life and all it's hurt and pain will be nothing but a wisp of air in the scheme of eternity.
    I know that right now everything seems surreal and things just aren't right, unfortunately that'll probably stick around for awhile, but I encourage you to look for God's hand in all of this, because it's there.
    My prayer for you and your family is that God is glorified in this situation.
    I can't tell you all of the different ways that the Lord has used my daddy's death as a means to bring glory to His name. It is truly amazing how God uses such tragedy for such good.
    Love ya man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, I so appreciate your post. I have never felt like this... Until my grandma passed away, sort of unexpectedly last night, and now I'm just so confused, but am sure God will work it out! Thank you for posting though. My mom will loved this, and we all need it right now. My family is praying for yours last night... My father did so as we prayed with my family when we arrived home!

    Love ya, dear brother! Praying for you through this unbelievable, unexplainable pain!

    Praise the Lord, in the end, we will all see our Savior face-to-face and have so much more understanding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hes always going to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking about you and praying for you and your family. i'm glad and thankful God has placed you in our lives and that elizabeth is able to be with you...
    may these words from a sovereign grace song comfort you:
    It is not death to die
    To leave this weary road
    And join the saints who dwell on high
    Who’ve found their home with God
    It is not death to close
    The eyes long dimmed by tears
    And wake in joy before Your throne
    Delivered from our fears

    Chorus O Jesus, conquering the grave
    Your precious blood has power to save
    Those who trust in You
    Will in Your mercy find
    That it is not death to die

    It is not death to fling
    Aside this earthly dust
    And rise with strong and noble wing
    To live among the just
    It is not death to hear
    The key unlock the door
    That sets us free from mortal years
    To praise You evermore

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post has helped me in an unbelievable way. Adam and I have been really close friends for years now, and I didn't know how I was going to go on. I keep thinking about how hurt you and your family must be, and multiplying my pain by 10. Knowing that you are going to get through this gives the confidence and assurance that I will too. Ruby has also remained so strong through all of this. I wanted to thank you so much for helping me so much unknowingly. I'm praying everyday for your family. I know that you will be just fine though. One other thing: I'm co-valedictorian for the class of 2011, and I was hoping that you would allow me to read this at graduation. I think it would bring great joy and comfort to us all. Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete